Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Holiday Downtime: 5 Amazing Netflix Documentaries

It's the homestretch to Christmas.  A couple more days, and that's it.

It's over. 

What to do on those nights when the holiday movies aren't on tv and neither are any of your favorite shows?

Netflix.  Docs.

These are my five recent faves that are available in the US AND CANADA!  (Those of you up here with me know that is not always the case...)

Bill Cunningham New York

"We all get dressed for Bill." - Anna Wintour, Vogue Magazine

This documentary is based in my favorite city in the whole wide world.  But it's more than that - it's about a fixture in and the character of that city.  Bill is an unassuming, humble artist who simply loves fashion.  Not the celebrity or the attention, just the clothes.  This film shares a part of New York that I'd never really paid close attention to, and introduced me to someone who has dedicated his whole life to it. 

Blackfish

Sad, yet eye-opening.  What struck me most about this film was its attempt at being objective.  The presentation of the history of captive whales and the bloodline to the main character.  Though I knew theme parks weren't the best habitats, now I can tell you why.  This film moved me and changed my perspective, which is why it should be shared.


Brooklyn Castle

Uplifting, hopeful, heroic.  It's that inspirational story of the less fortunate working hard to change their future.  But the difference here is they are doing it themselves and within a public school setting.  I will never look at chess the same way again.  And now I really want my kids to play...


Bully

Oh I cried.  And you will, too.  But that's why you need to watch this film.  Life isn't the same as it was when I was growing up.  Environment, circumstances, cultures - they are all different.  It is mortifying to think this actually happens today in our schools and neighborhoods, but it does.  Being aware of it and communicating with others can make a world of difference. Watching this documentary reminded me to keep this discussion going with my own kids.


Undefeated

You don't have to like football, you don't have to like an underdog story, and you don't have to like feeling good after watching a documentary.  But you will get all three.  It's a story of a school who's football team never (NEVER) had a winning season, but a volunteer (VOLUNTEER!!!) coach changed all that.  And their lives.  It's hard to believe this is a real story.  It's stayed with me since I watched it.


Happy Holiday Netflix-ing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment